Saturday 17 December 2011

A little bit annoying!!

What is the worst thing that can happen when you're out running?  Well maybe this wasn't the worst, the worst would be dying or breaking a leg, or perhaps even just twisting an ankle.  This was just a little bit annoying.

Last Saturday Mr G and I went over to Maldon on the East Coast to go for a run along the coast path followed by a visit to my Auntie Jane's.  This was all going to plan, we set off with the dogs, a cold bright winters day and a beautiful stretch of coastline.  We'd left the car near Auntie Jane's house and I put the car key in my jacket pocket.  Off we went at a nice gentle warm up pace heading along the Maldon promenade.  We stopped to do the unpleasant thing that one has to do when you have a dog, picking up their poo.

You're probably wondering why I'm telling you this, well about 10 minutes later when we had just gone through a kissing gate I realised I no longer had the car key in my pocket.  Oh my God!   I only had my running jacket pockets to check but believe me I turned them inside out.  We then turned and started looking for it.  After a bit of discussion we decided the most likely place that I would have dropped it was where I picked up the dog poo.  So Mr G ran off to check before someone else found it and I started walking back diligently looking at the ground.

It certainly is chilly when you're walking and not running, but being freezing cold didn't stop us retracing our foot steps two or three times before we convinced ourselves that it wasn't there.  The nightmare hadn't yet started though we suddenly realised the house keys were in the car and the spare keys were in the house a 45 minute drive away.  Bugger bugger bugger.

We're AA members so we gave them a call and while they couldn't get us back to the house to get the spare key they could get the house keys out of the car.  Thankfully we were planning to visit Auntie Jane so had somewhere warm to go and have a cuppa while we waited for them to arrive.  Amazingly they were there within 10 minutes, and with a torch in one hand and a long thin piece of metal in the other the AA man managed to hook the keys out from the centre pocket.  Then it was Auntie Jane's turn to come to the rescue as she lent us her car to drive back to Stortford and get the spare key.  After driving back and forth we were finally home.

Sadly though we missed the Christmas Panto!  Oh well there is always next year to shout 'he's behind you'  or should I shout 'where's the car key.'  That all said I thank our lucky stars that nothing worse happened, after all it was only a car key and we could get it all sorted out.  Just a little bit annoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment