Thursday 1 December 2011

Yoga for runners - our first class

Isn't google the best; in my twenties I would have picked up a flier, spoken to a friend or seen an ad in the paper, but now we have google (should I say there are other search engines available).   Having agreed with Gary that we'd try yoga to help our running recovery (see previous blog) all I had to do was type in yoga in Bishop's Stortford and up came some classes.  

I'm afraid my selection criteria wasn't very sophisticated; something near, something after work, something stretching and relaxing.  I've previously tried dynamic Ashtanga yoga, which while great for toning kept making me feel tired running, and considering we are currently on 40 miles a week and building up to about 70 miles a week (just thinking about it makes my legs twinge), I don't want to be doing anything else that makes my legs ache, this is recovery all the way.  

Mandy Beaumont's class came up trumps, and the best thing is when I dropped her an email asking about availability she replied straight away and offered us spaces in her class last night.  A quick text to Gary asking if he was up for it and we were booked in.

So at 7.45pm we left the house armed with blankets and pillows, felt like we were heading for a slumber party rather then a yoga class, but we were only following instructions.  Unfortunately I wasn't following the instructions as well as I should have been, I'd read the address wrong and we ended up at Rhodes Theatre instead of Birchwood High School.  Bless the receptionists as they tried to explain to us where we should go and every road name they mentioned we hadn't heard of.  So dumb did we appear they politely asked if we weren't from here.  Oh yes we do live in Bishop's Stortford, but obviously we walk round with our eyes closed.  

Eventually though we understood (yes they were speaking English), and we headed off, debating whether or not we should actually still go.  Was it rude to turn up late or ruder still to not turn up at all.  We decided that if we didn't go we probably never would so bore the embarrassment and headed into the class - finally located.

Thankfully Mandy was really friendly and welcoming and pointed us to two yoga mats positioned at the front of the class ready and waiting for us.  There were about five others already practicing.  Am I meant to call them Yogis?  I'm not yet up on the lingo!  Being at the front and not having a clue what we were doing made it a little awkward, but we seemed to get by.   We went from child's pose to downward dog, it was lovely and slow and really relaxing.  Finishing off with some great dynamic breath work.  The best bit was doing some group work to perfect the position of downward dog and realising my hamstrings aren't as tight as I'd thought.  Even Gary enjoyed it, he was the only man, but even so he engaged in feedback and proved that yes men don't have as much flexibility!  Rock on next week - not sure what surprises are in store for us, but I'm looking forward to it!

Now thinking about the next thing I can google and be so childishly pleased about!


1 comment:

  1. Ultra marathon training plan Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post.

    ReplyDelete