Thursday 15 December 2011

Yoga for runners - our third class

Our yoga classes are going really well.  We had our third class last night, and it was just the stretching I needed, focusing particularly on deep stretching of tendons and ligaments.  As I get really sore hamstring tendons this was perfect for me.  It was apparently a Yin style class.  You can find out more about this type of Yoga at Mandy's teachers website Simon Low.

After our warm up we did lots of work with bolsters following Mandy's explanation that if the muscle is tense when we are stretching it it will not lengthen, we need the muscle to relax to lengthen.  Obviously this makes a huge amount of sense, but in the past I have found myself stretching after a run and watching my legs shake, a sure sign that I'm over stretching.  With our bodies stretched over the bolsters sideways and backwards and us lying with our legs up the wall all the positions left me feeling elongated and relaxed!  Think I'm now ready for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment