Wednesday 7 December 2011

It's not just about running

Apart from running I do do other things in my spare time for example for the last couple of months I've been volunteering at the local charity shop.  I love this place it just tickles my humor every time I volunteer.   If you've seen the office and think it's funny, try working in a charity shop, you have it for real!  They are all caricatures of themselves.

There's the chap that works behind the till.  Poor soul was beaten up when he was young, which ended up leaving him slightly brain damaged.  He is perfectly nice, but sometimes just a little over the top.  I was rather taken a back as he told me how beautiful I was, then proceeded to tell me that he was single and did I have any nice friends.  Bless him, I'm sure he'd be a lovely boyfriend to the right girl.  

Then there's the very harsh old girl that works with him on the till.  She brings in her own CD to play, some artist that she idealizes.  It is brilliant, she was genuinely upset when being December they wanted to play Christmas songs instead.  She's got that way of looking you up and down like a school mistress; which always makes me feel like being naughty and childish.

Then there are the two old girls that volunteer upstairs sorting out the donations.  They are hysterical, giving a running commentary of what is going on on the high street.  They had a great conversation yesterday about the young mums who were pushing their buggies down the high street.  'Those women living off the system, how can they afford coffee in Costa,' 'ohhhh I know, never would have happened in my day we couldn't afford coffee.'  I couldn't resist saying they might just be getting out of the house having been cooped up looking after their babies, with their husbands at work but 'oh no they are definitely claiming child benefits you can tell.'  

Then there is the quiet man who doesn't speak but comes in to sort out the books, keeping a really well organised library, continuously updating the new books that come in, making it look like a real book shop.  I'm not sure that he actually has a voice, but believe me he's meticulous.

Then there is the young work experience girl, who always seems to have a hang over and spends most of her time outside smoking.  Though there was a break through yesterday when she used the steamer and enjoyed it!

Then there is the Assistant shop manager, a busy body with poor taste.  Bless her she's so proud of her window displays and her bargain buckets, which are quietly changed and removed by the manager.

Which brings me finally on to the shop manager, a really positive energetic Scottish lady, who spends her time trying to keep everyone going, making sure they are feeling appreciated, and trying to sort out their good intentions that don't work.  Really don't know how she does it.

Obviously there is also me, I tend to feel like a fly on the wall!




No comments:

Post a Comment