Thursday 1 December 2011

Ice baths

We're trying everything to help our training even ice baths.  If your not an advanced runner or a rugby player for that matter, and I'm certainly not either, you may not have heard of ice baths.  The theory is that the cold helps flush the muscles of lactic acid and basically helps muscles, tendons and ligaments recover more quickly in preparation for the next workout.  In theory this all sounds great, in practice this is seriously painful (or do I just have a very low pain threshold).

Each weekend Gary (my husband) and I embark on a long run.  Last weekend was 19 miles.  For the last three weekends we've tried out ice baths.  I run the cold tap until the bath is full enough to cover my legs with me sitting up.  I then put a thick jumper on, turn the bathroom heating up and prepare myself all while Gary prepares to laugh.  Unlike the cold sea you can't dive into a cold bath.  In I get very slowly and out flow the blasphemies; I manage to come out with words my husband didn't even know I knew.  I must apologize to our neighbours, I'm sure they must think we are into some strange ritualistic torture.  Though that is probably how some describe long distance running.  

The experts say you should stay in the bath for 10 to 15 minutes.  So far I've managed about 30 seconds before I've had to jump out and stand dripping on the bath matt until I can breath again.  On the second submersion I've been able to manage a minute before jumping out.  It seems that by the third submersion I'm able to stay in a little longer - last weekend's record was 4 minutes.

Gary gets in after me, now I think this is probably cheating as I've already warmed the water, but he doesn't seem to think so.  Last weekend he took the protective measure of wearing water proof socks and cupping his privates with his hands, my turn to laugh.  

So you're probably wondering for all this pain is it actually worth it.  I have to say I think it actually works.  My recovery definitely seems to have improved, or could that just be from the laughter therapy!

No comments:

Post a Comment