Friday 2 December 2011

Running with Archie

If you take a look at any running forum or discussion group you're certain to come across a discussion about what a pain dogs are when you are running.  Who hasn't had someone's dog jump up at you, run across you, trip you up with their lead, chase after you, or as Gary and I had the other day turn and growl at you.  Thankfully the owner whistled and he ran on.

All this aside I do think dogs and running mix.  Gary and I have a lovely springer spaniel called Archie, he is a typical springer full of energy and obsessed by water, and he loves to run.  He's not so great on the lead but as 90% of our runs are off road to help us train for the coastal ultra, they are perfect for him and us.  The added bonus is we don't have to take him out for a walk after running 19 miles.

Archie
I originally got him when I was living on my own.  I'd previously been pushed into a canal while running alone in London and ever since have been a little wary.  Archie helped solve that problem, not that I think he'd know what to do if someone attacked me, but when I've tripped over he's come and sat next to me as if to say 'hey mum we taking a break now.'  He's also a great distraction when the miles are hurting.  He doesn't stop until we get home, as if there are just far to many great smells to check out.  I'm sure if he had one of the dog collars from 'UP' there'd be no talking sense just 'rabbit' 'squirrel' 'cat' 'water water water' 'fox poo!'

Just like us humans he suffers injuries too. Since he was one he's been diagnosed with arthritis, apparently it is very common in all breeds of dogs.  It's been about four months since he was last lame, but yesterday morning he started limping again, so he's back on rest and metacam, a painkiller for arthritis.  I worried in the past that the running might exaggerate the arthritis but I'm assured by my vet that as long as he's not lame running is good for him, keeping him fit and lean, and being a springer spaniel I'm not going to be able to stop him even if I stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment