Saturday 10 December 2011

Easy recovery runs

Is it just me or sometimes am I only able to stumble out a recovery run.  I end up going so slowly that walkers are catching me up.  Ok maybe that is a slight exaggeration but considering I can keep a good 8 minute mile on a road run, some of my recovery runs are at 11 minute mile pace.  Last Sunday was a great example of this, Mr G and I headed out for a recovery run after the Dorset Coastal Half.  We were staying down in Bournemouth so took the opportunity for a run along the beach.  We went down to Sandbanks beach, which is the perfect winter running beach, with great sea views, sailing boats and kite surfers to look at, and heaps of house candy to lust over.

Archie enjoying water
I though was very stiff and struggling to make myself move in a forwardly direction.  At every opportunity I stopped.  You should know this was a 4 mile recovery run, so not really the distance I usually need to take breaks on.  I managed to need the loo, Sandbanks beach has some lovely public conveniences, I stopped to throw Archie a ball and feed his two obsessions water and tennis balls, I asked Mr G incessantly how far we'd been, he holds the Garmin power, and I even had to retie my laces.

Amazingly I think my body actually felt better for getting out, but my mental power to keep plodding along was weak.  I'm never sure in these scenarios whether I should keep on going or whether I'm going to injure myself.  It appears this time the run was the right thing to do, the sand meant a soft running surface that reduced the chance of injury, the only thing really not keyed in on the day was my brain.

I am very pleased though to be able to report that Wednesday's easy run was way more fun.  I felt bright and enjoyed every gentle step, even when I was bombarded by the biggest dog I've ever seem, apparently it was a great dane crossed with a St. Bernard.  Archie, in true wimpish style, whimpered at my feet as I tried to run through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment