Saturday 14 January 2012

Running and work

This week I started a new job as Head of Parks and Open Spaces at the London Borough of Camden.  A fantastic job that gets me to the heart of managing and promoting the use of Camden's outdoor spaces, while ensuring they continue to grow and be a fantastic resource for future generations.

Archie with Evi 
But it has meant I don't have the same amount of time for training as I had while I was at home.  No more mid morning runs or long dog walks in the winter sun mid week.  It's been up at 6am everyday, a 40 minute walk in the dark with Archie and then on the train into work.  The journey is great I can get there and back within an hour, so I'm getting back home about 6.30 and have managed to get straight out of the door for a run.  Our current training plan means our rest days are on Monday and Friday so Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I was straight out the door for a 7, 5 and 7 mile run consecutively.

Interestingly I found myself flying out the door on Tuesday and really enjoying a fast paced run.  I think the adrenalin of starting a new job had got to me and I really needed to burn some of it off.  Wednesday wasn't quite the same I plodded round the 5 miles and went straight off to yoga afterwards with Mr G.  Who I have to say has been a saint, walking Archie in the evenings and cooking dinner when I've been running.  He manages to fit his runs in at lunchtime which gives us a little more time in the evenings.

Today's long run was a little tougher as my hamstring tendinitis feels as though it is flaring slightly, but an ice pack and some deep heat should do the trick.  At least I hope so as next weekend is our first marathon of the year Anglesey Coastal Marathon, with a finish up Holyhead mountain it should be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment